About the program:
One of the oldest and most prestigious, The Rhodes Scholarship, is an international postgraduate award aiding students with exceptional scholastic intellect, character, leadership and commitment to public servicesto study at the University of Oxford. The basic tenure of this scholarship is for 2 years, subject to satisfactory academic performance and personal conduct.
- Nationality: You must be a citizen of India, holding an Indian passport, or equivalent proof of citizenship. PIO (Person of Origin) or OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) card holders are not eligible.
- Education/Residency: You must have undertaken formal study at an educational institution in India for a minimum of 4 of the last 10 years and have either (i) completed a school leaving exam (10th or 12th standard) at a school in India or (ii) have received or be in the final year of an undergraduate degree at a university in India.
- Age: You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 25th birthday on 1st October 2018. Medical students and medical doctors who are pursuing or who have completed their one-year internship (CRRI), the age limit is extended by one year.
- Academic achievement: You must have completed by the summer of 2018 your undergraduate degree with First Class or equivalent with a high standard of academic excellence.
Benefits for the applier:
- Rhodes Scholars study at the world-class University of Oxford ranked 1st internationally in the Times Higher Education rankings 2017.
- The Scholarship includes full tuition, a maintenance stipend and flights to and from Oxford at the beginning and end of tenure.
- Oxford Scholars enjoy a comprehensive Rhodes Character, Service and Leadership program, inclusive of retreats, workshops, conferences as well as many discussion and social events at Rhodes House.
- The Rhodes Scholarship is a lifelong, inter-generational fellowship of over 5000 individuals, residing in over 100 countries.
- Apply online from 1st June 2017 to 31st July 2107 at http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk via the scholarships tab.
- Candidates should read carefully the general information on the Rhodes website for the tenure of scholarship http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/files/application_conditions-of-tenure and the Graduate Admissions page of the University of Oxford www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate
- Prepare a personal statement signed by you that tells your story in your own voice: Who are you? What matters to you? What are you hoping to do in the world? This essay gives you the opportunity to enchant a dominating narrative for the Selection Committee.
- You would need 4-6 referees to testify your character and your involvement in extra-curricular/service or leadership activities. They should supply a frank and confidential statement regarding the candidate’s qualifications. References must be received by, 23:59 IST 14th August 2017. Visit www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/media/3072/indiarefereeguidance.pdf
- If English is not your first language, you may be asked to provide evidence of proficiency. Check the specific requirements for your country/region’s Information for Candidates and see Oxford’s requirements for English Language proficiency
- It is very important for you to have considered what course and degree you wish to follow at Oxford before you submit your application.