What’s the Scholarship Scheme all about?
The Government of India introduced the ‘Scholarships for the Higher Education of ST Students’ scheme in order to encourage ST students, a backward section of the society with low literacy levels, to acquire higher education in the form of:
- Fellowships to pursue M.Phil and Ph.D courses so that they are qualified to hold posts of teachers /professionals and other higher
stages of employment.
- Graduate and Post Graduate studies with scholarships in Top Class Institutions of National repute.
Who’s eligible to apply for the scholarships?
- The candidate belonging to ST category should have passed the Post-Graduation examination for being eligible for the Fellowship.
- The total family income of the candidate to be eligible for this scholarship from all sources should not exceed Rs.4.50 lakh per annum.
- The scholarship awarded will continue till the completion of the course, subject to satisfactory performance of the student.
- First of all, the scholarships will become payable immediately after a student has secured admission and has started attending the classes.
- Under the scheme, the ST students will be awarded a scholarship to meet the requirements for:
(1) Full tuition fee and other non-refundable dues in respect of Government and Government-funded institutions. However, there will be a ceiling of Rs.2.00 lakhs per annum per student for private sector institutions.
(2) Living expenses will be provided up to a maximum ceiling of Rs. 2200/- per month per student.
(3) In addition to the cost of books and stationery up to Rs.3000/- per annum per student, the cost of a latest computer along with its accessories limited to Rs.45, 000/- will be provided as one time assistance during the course.
- The selected candidates would be required to have bank accounts in banks having Core Banking Solutions.
- In case the students are not having Aadhaar numbers, they are required to apply for Aadhaar Card, within a month of their registration/admission in the courses under the Fellowship/Scholarship.
For detailed information, read the official document here: http://scholarships.gov.in/public/schemeGuidelines/tribalfellowshipguideline.pdf